Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My favorite question

I do not know how many of you out there are chauffeurs like myself. Frankly, I do not care. The point of this particular blog is to address the question we all get and the clients somehow all know to ask. "Is the tip included?" AAAAARRRRGH!!!!! Legally, yes, the tip is included. IT IS CALLED MY PAY AND THE COMPANY PROVIDES IT TO ME AS A WAGE! If you are too cheap to reach into your fat pocket and pull out a $5 then do me a favor. Stop asking if the tip is included.
I have seen countless occasions where, at the hotel, the guy who loads the single suitcase is tipped a $10 or even a $5. After all, he did have to put the suitcase in a car trunk. I guess he deserves a small tip of sorts. But me, The guy who literally holds your precious life in my steering-wheel-clutching hands? I get the friggin shaft on the money train? How is this right? The doorman who literally barely lifted a finger gets tipped but the professional chauffeur who got you safely, and quickly to your destination, gets nothing but a stupid question. My fiance gets snippy with me for tipping the girl who delivers my order at Sonic. I tell her "Those who live on tips tip."
To the end now. A tip is not always deserved. Nor is it always expected. I know when have blown a tip and when I have earned one. We all do. If you do not wish to tip, then just walk away. Do not ask me "Is the tip included?"

1 comment: