Friday, August 21, 2009

Reversal of fortunes

Too many times in my line of work, we prejudge people. We see them as tippers or not, talkative or quiet, you get the idea. I know this practice is wrong on multiple levels. It is considered profiling by some and racist by others, depending on how you prejudge.

There was a rather large concert in my city recently. I was charged with taking a big family from out of town to the show and then back to their private plane. There were ten total passengers. Four were female and six were male. Eight were older and two were teenagers. After the plane landed and I got them into the car, one of them asked to be taken to a restaurant. Upon arrival, another man asked me "Is this a good place to eat?" To which I replied "I would assume so due to the location." (There are no bad eateries in that area.)

Dinner was over so on the the show. We arrived at the venue and I noticed the parking passes they had purchased were not valid for my vehicle type in the lot specified. They bought the wrong pass. I was forced to drop them off farther from the entrance than expected. I then had no place to park. (Concert goes on.)

The show ended and I got the phone call. "Where are you?" After much fussing and frustration, we met up on the street. In my efforts to get them into the car quickly, I left the main lanes and pulled into a blocked off lane. We were now stuck and at the mercy of other concert goers who just wanted to get home. Finally we were allowed to merge. I got them to the plane after a short ride and they left the car. My favorite question peeked out from the night. I told him yes. This was the reversal of fortunes. He pulled a couple of bills from his wallet and handed them to me. As not to look rude, I slipped them into my suit pocket and said "Thank you sir." "How was the show?" he said it was good and they boarded the plane. Driving out of the FBO, I pulled the two bills out of my pocket. There in my hand were two, beautiful, slightly used, one hundred dollar bills. That will teach me not to prejudge.

No comments:

Post a Comment